My name is Mike Delgado and this blog is place where I’m writing about social media strategy, live streaming, community building, 360 video, storytelling, and ways for us to lead and love our communities.
I serve as the Director of Social Media and Community Engagement at Experian — and teach social media strategy courses at the University of California, Irvine extension school. I would love to connect with you on LinkedIn.
Here are some details about my work:
Social Media Strategy Speaker
I love sharing ways companies can leverage social media and community building to improve business. I’ve had the honor to speak at:
- Social Media Marketing World 2017: Ways to Use Snapchat for Business
- PR News’ PR & Media Relations Summit 2017: Master Video & Live Streaming to Build Your Brand
- SoTech Conference 2016: Ways to Leverage Live Streaming to Increase Reach & Nurture Customer Relationships
- PR Daily’s PR University 2016: Snapchat Secrets: Build a Snapchat Presence to Boost Business
- Social Media Marketing World 2016: How Brands Are Telling Stories on Periscope
- PRNews Summit 2016: Emerging Platforms: Periscope & Streaming’s Applications for Brands
- Social 545 Podcast on iTunes: How Experian Uses Blab & Periscope to Build Community
- Financial Communications Society & Reuters: Fall Into Social 2015
- Social Media Marketing World 2014: How to Develop Real Communities
- Social Media Marketing World 2014: How Brands Use Google+ to Get Results
- Social Media Examiner Small Business Summit: How Businesses Can Benefit from Google+
- Concordia University: How to Leverage LinkedIn for Your Career
- FinCon14: How to Build a Thriving Community
- Experian Sales Summit: How to Find Prospects & Build Relationships on Twitter
I was invited to attend the 2014 State of the Union Social event hosted by The White House, which included a tour of the White House, participation in the #SOTUSocial and the live panel discussion with policy experts that streamed live on WhiteHouse.gov.
As part of my community building work at Experian, I host live streaming videos almost daily on Periscope and weekly on YouTube Live or Facebook Live. You can learn more about these live video chats on the Experian blog.
Social Media Director & Community Builder
I lead strategy of Experian, North America’s social media presence – and some of this work has been featured in CIO Magazine, Business Insider, PR News, Kiplinger, CNBC, Better Business Bureau, America Saves, Get Rich Slowly, Ask Liz Weston, and in Beverly Harzog’s book “Confessions of a Credit Junkie.”
Our social media work won the Plutus Award in 2014 and again in 2015. We also won the award for “Best Use of Periscope” by PR News in 2016. Our efforts in using social media for financial literacy also helped us earn a special award from the Jump$tart Coalition. I have been listed as one of the top 20 influencers to follow in personal finance on DailyFinance.com.
I create snapchat content to educate our Experian communities about personal finance topics:
I’ve always loved writing – and published my first magazine of poetry and short stories right after finishing high school. I later started writing for the Cable Ace Award Winning Show “This Week in Beverly Hills,” the online version of Animation Magazine, and later was published in my college paper: “The Daily Bruin.”
While in graduate school, I launched a student productivity website called: StudentHacks.org, which has referenced as a resource in Kaplan’s “Paying for College” book – and featured in: LifeHack.org, CalNewport.com, Switched.com, ApartmentTherapy.com, Instructify.com, Houston Chronicle, and received links and/or traffic from over 170 universities; including: CalTech, Harvard University, Columbia University, Emory University, Stanford University, etc. I ended that project after 6 years.
Once I started working in marketing and social media, I began writing more about how businesses can leverage social media. I currently write for Social Media Examiner.
Here are some of my articles:
8 Ways to Get More Leads for Your Business on LinkedIn
8 Google+ Changes and How They Impact Your Business
How to Boost Engagement on Your LinkedIn Company Page
Google+ Communities: What Marketers Need to Know
Google+ Hangouts on Air: What Marketers Need to Know
Do-It Yourself Guide to Credit Repair
22 Frugal Tips from Favorite Personal Finance Writers
4 Ways You Might Be Hurting Your Credit Score (And What You Can Do About It)
24 Finance Writers Share Favorite Money-Saving Apps
5 Ways to Protect Yourself from Credit Fraud
7 Stubborn Credit Score Myths & Misconceptions Debunked
I would love to hear from you if you have found this blog helpful – and would welcome your connection on LinkedIn.